Winston Churchill and Allies under intense pressure to “do something” to relieve pressure on Soviet Union
– “Operation Jubilee” was to be a quick raid:
– Aug. 19th, 1942 6000 troops land in France (5000 are Canadians):
– 900 die on beaches
– 1000 wounded
– 1900 POW’s
(2 out of 3 are casualties by day’s end)
WHY DIEPPE FAILED
- Boats delayed
- Poor planning
- Inexperienced commanders
- The Germans learned about the attack; and were ready
- No aerial or naval bombardment prior to the attack (Too little air & sea support )
- The attack took place in broad daylight
- Tanks bogged down on beach
- Designed failure?
- Dieppe gave the Allies an idea of what mistakes to avoid when they later invade France
- Much stronger military forces were needed to break through the German defences
- Reserve forces should be held back until the progress of the first assault is known
If we have helped you, please help us fix his smile with your old essays...it takes seconds!
-We are looking for previous essays, labs and assignments that you aced!-We will review and post them on our website.
-Ad revenue is used to support children in developing nations.
-We help pay for cleft palate repair surgeries through Operation Smile and Smile Train.