Winston Churchill and Allies under intense pressure to “do something” to relieve pressure on Soviet Union
– “Operation Jubilee” was to be a quick raid:
– Aug. 19th, 1942 6000 troops land in France (5000 are Canadians):
– 900 die on beaches
– 1000 wounded
– 1900 POW’s
(2 out of 3 are casualties by day’s end)
WHY DIEPPE FAILED
- Boats delayed
- Poor planning
- Inexperienced commanders
- The Germans learned about the attack; and were ready
- No aerial or naval bombardment prior to the attack (Too little air & sea support )
- The attack took place in broad daylight
- Tanks bogged down on beach
- Designed failure?
- Dieppe gave the Allies an idea of what mistakes to avoid when they later invade France
- Much stronger military forces were needed to break through the German defences
- Reserve forces should be held back until the progress of the first assault is known
Help Us Fix his Smile with Your Old Essays, It Takes Seconds!
-We are looking for previous essays, labs and assignments that you aced!-We will review and post them on our website.
-Ad revenue is used to support children in developing nations.
-We help pay for cleft palate repair surgeries through Operation Smile and Smile Train.