Winston Churchill and Allies under intense pressure to “do something” to relieve pressure on Soviet Union
Can We Help with Your Assignment?
Let us do your homework! Professional writers in all subject areas are available and will meet your assignment deadline. Free proofreading and copy-editing included.
– “Operation Jubilee” was to be a quick raid:
– Aug. 19th, 1942 6000 troops land in France (5000 are Canadians):
"Be Bold" No-Essay $10,000 Scholarship
The $10,000 “Be Bold” Scholarship is a no-essay scholarship that will be awarded to the applicant with the boldest profile. To us, boldest does not mean “best”, or “most accomplished”. Being bold means being: Earnest, Determined, Moving. The scholarship will be awarded to the student whose profile is most bold, according to these characteristics.
– 900 die on beaches
– 1000 wounded
– 1900 POW’s
(2 out of 3 are casualties by day’s end)
WHY DIEPPE FAILED
- Boats delayed
- Poor planning
- Inexperienced commanders
- The Germans learned about the attack; and were ready
- No aerial or naval bombardment prior to the attack (Too little air & sea support )
- The attack took place in broad daylight
- Tanks bogged down on beach
- Designed failure?
- Dieppe gave the Allies an idea of what mistakes to avoid when they later invade France
- Much stronger military forces were needed to break through the German defences
- Reserve forces should be held back until the progress of the first assault is known