Definition: Period from 1900 – 1920 during which reformers sought to improve government, regulate businesses, help workers and help the poor.
Can We Write Your Essay?
Ace your next assignment with help from a professional writer. Free proofreading and copy-editing included.
Theodore Roosevelt (Republican)
- VP for William McKinley, became president at age 43 when McKinley assassinated in 1901- youngest ever
- Wanted to give all Americans a ‘Square Deal’- a more just and equitable society
- Much of the Progressive legislation was passed while he was in office until 1909
- Known as the ‘trust buster’ and conservationalist for establishing system of national parks
- Tried to run again in 1912 under the Bull Moose Party (progressive party)
- Journalists and writers who fought for reform
- Used newspapers and novels to expose corruption, injustice
- Often bent the truth to accomplish goals
- Best example- Upton Sinclair- wrote novels, like The Jungle, describing evils of capitalism
- Women fighting for the right to vote
- Susan B. Anthony, Elizabeth Cady Stanton start National Women’s Suffrage Association in 1869 to secure amendment in Constitution
|1901||New York State Tenement House Law||Requires fire escapes, lights in dark hallways, a window in each room|
|1902||Maryland Workmen’s Compensation Law||Provide benefits for workers injured on the job|
|Wisconsin Direct Primary Law||Allows voters to select candidates|
|Oregon Initiative and Referendum laws||Gives voters power to initiate legislation and vote on important issues|
|Newlands Act||Funds irrigation projects in West|
|1903||Oregon women’s labor law||Limits work for women in industry to 10 hours a day|
|Elkins Act||Strengthens Interstate Commerce Act|
|1906||Hepburn Act||Authorizes Interstate Commerce Commission to set maximum railroad rates|
|Pure Food and Drug Act||Prohibits sale of adulterated or fraudulently labeled foods and drugs|
|Meat Inspection Act||Enforces sanitary conditions in meatpacking plants|
|1910||Mann Act||Prohibits interstate transportation of women for immoral purposes|
|1913||16th Amendment||Authorizes federal income tax|
|1915||Seaman’s Act||Regulates conditions of maritime workers|
|1916||Federal Farm Loan Act||Provide farmers with low interest loans|
|Federal Child Labor Law||Barred products produced by children from interstate commerce (declared unconstitutional in 1918)|
|1919||18th Amendment||Prohibited sale and production of intoxicating liquors|
|1920||19th Amendment||Gave women the right to vote|
Can We Help with Your Assignment?
Let us do your homework! Expert writers in all subject areas are available and will meet your assignment deadline.